Host a Healthy Food Drive!
To support our mission to provide nutritious food to hungry families and individuals, we encourage you to sponsor a healthy food drive. Whether you host one at work, in your faith community, school, or elsewhere, we are thankful for your contribution to address hunger in Denver!
Running a healthy food drive is easy and fun! Fill out the Food Drive Form and our Development Team will contact you to review the details.
Try some of these ideas for hosting a healthy food drive:
- Host a house party and ask guests to bring healthy food donations.
- Make each day of your healthy food drive different with wish lists and themes to ensure you receive a variety of healthy foods.
- 'Meating' the Need – Request high-protein foods like canned meats and peanut butter.
- In the Garden – Request canned fruits and vegetables.
- Kid Friendly – Request foods specifically for children like infant formula, cereal and shelf-stable milk.
- If your employer is willing, host a casual Friday where the cost for dressing down is a donation to the healthy food drive.
Here are a few tips to make the process go smoothly:
- Identify a reasonable goal based on how long you'll run the drive and how many people you expect to participate.
- Decide how you will collect the donated healthy food. It depends on the size of your drive. For medium quantities, boxes work well.
- Gather materials to promote your healthy food drive and draw attention to Colorado’s hunger crisis. “Did you know that Metro Caring is helping feed the 1 out of 4 kids in Colorado who faces food insecurity?”
- Our food drive toolkit includes:
- Keep enthusiasm high! Send e-mails, hold contests, or think of your own ways to keep interest high. Once your healthy food drive is complete, arrange to deliver food to Metro Caring. Where to drop off donations.
- Have fun!
- Due to resource constraints, food pick-up is only available for food drives collecting over 500 pounds (approximately 3 full barrels), but we cannot guarantee pick-ups, specific pick-up times or dates.
- If you expect to collect more than 500 pounds of healthy food, you can request barrels on the Food Drive Application and we will arrange to deliver them to your location, based on availability.
- We are open and able to receive food donations between 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday – Friday and Tuesday evenings, 5:00 – 7:00pm. A donor receipt will be provided upon Metro Caring receiving the collected food.
- Your healthy food drive should be promoted and conducted in a manner to avoid the appearance of Metro Caring endorsing any product, firm, or organization.
- If you are sending healthy food drive information to family, friends, your office, church, social media accounts, etc. and not advertising to the public at large, you may use our logo without permission.
- If you plan to advertise to the general public, please contact Judith Ackerman, Marketing & Events Officer. We are happy to work with you to help you create a successful public event that falls within our guidelines.
- All events must comply with federal, state and local laws, including fundraising rules and regulations.
- We reserve the right to decline association with any activities or third-party fundraisers if we believe the activity may have a negative effect on our reputation.